What is Duovir-N?
Duovir-N is used in the treatment of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) in adults. It contains three different anti-retroviral agents - lamivudine, zidovudine and efavirenz.
How is Duovir-N used?
Each Duovir-E kit contains :
- One yellow tablet containing Efavirenz 600mg
- Two white tablets each containing Lamivudine 150mg + Zidovudine 300mg
- Take one white (Lamivudine + Zidovudine) tablet in the morning.
- Take one yellow (Efavirenz) tablet AND one white tablets (Lamivudine + Zidovudine) at night.
- Taking the yellow tablet on an empty stomach (ie. at bedtime) can decrease potential nervous system side effects.
The most common side effects associated with Duovir-E are :
- Nasal signs and symptoms
Less frequently, patients have reported :
- Anorexia / decreased appetite
- Abdominal pain and/or cramping
- Insomnia / sleep disorders
- Skin rash
- Musculoskeletal pain
- There is a risk of fetal damage if Duovir-N is taking during the first trimester of pregnancy. Only take Duovir-E while pregnant, or if you a planning to become pregnant if the benefit outweighs the potential risks. Discuss this with your doctor
- Make sure your doctor is aware of all medicines you are currently taking. Many different drugs can have a negative interaction with the active ingredients in Duovir-E.